March 3, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 60 / Guest: Alisha Fernandez Miranda
Subscribe & Rate Us Wherever You Listen to Podcasts
Alisha Fernandez Miranda has had a lot of brilliant ideas and great jobs. One of her most creative ideas was to intern at some of the jobs she considered dream jobs, and then write about the experiences. This wild, wonderful idea became a book that will be published by Zibby Books in 2023, and then a podcast on the Zcast Podcast Productions, Quit Your Day Job.
We talked about her career journey, what it’s like to be a 40-year-old intern, and embracing new ventures. If you’ve ever wondered what if…? (and really, who has not?) this is the episode for you!
More About Alisha Fernandez Miranda
Alisha Fernandez Miranda is a Miami-born, Scotland-based writer, entrepreneur, ex-CEO and mom of twins. Her memoir will be published by Zibby Books in 2023. It details her year of unpaid internships in the dream jobs of her childhood, following Alisha on her quest to figure out what might have happened if her life had taken a different path.
Alisha is Cuban-American and has spent her adult life in New York and London. An expat in the UK for almost 15 years, she is currently based in Scotland.
In addition to being an intern, Alisha is the ex-CEO and current Chair at I.G. Advisors, an award-winning social impact intelligence agency that consults to the world’s biggest non-profits, companies and foundations on their philanthropy and social impact. She counts among her clients the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ford Foundation and UN Women. She speaks and writes regularly on women’s empowerment, social impact and sustainability.
Alisha also built and launched an app called Not My Style, focused on sustainable fashion and is an advisor to economic research firm Fideres. She’s a proud graduate of Harvard University and the London School of Economics.
When she’s not interning or in the middle of yet another lockdown, Alisha loves to travel, watch Gilmore Girls, be served coffee in bed by her adoring/long-suffering husband, and hide from her 10-year old twins when they want to play Pokemon. Her writing has been published in Romper, Insider The Good Trade, Grazia, Moms Don’t Have Time to Write, Huffington Post, HerStry and Waterproof, an anthology published in 2021.
Topics From This Episode (Complete transcript is available below… scroll to the bottom!)
- Dream jobs
- International relocation
- Living abroad
- Charitable giving
- Zibby Owens
Connect with Alisha
Look, Listen, Learn
- Far From the Tree by Robin Benway
- Comprehensive sex education in schools
- Starstruck on BBC
- Taylor Swift Red, Taylor’s version
- Olga Dies Dreaming by Xochitl Gonzalez
- Get your skin checked! Find a dermatologist here.
- The Madness of Crowds by Louise Penny
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Watch This Episode On Our YouTube Channel
Our delightfully happy intro and outro theme music, “We Will Get Through This” is performed by Young Presidents, and used under license from Shutterstock.