March 12, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast BONUS Episode / Guest: Amber Leventry
Listen & Subscribe Wherever You Listen to Podcasts
It’s bonus day! We have nothing to add to your paycheck, but we do have something valuable. In this episode, we got to talk with our friend, Amber Leventry, about how to be advocates and allies for the LGBTQIA+ community. Here in Texas, and across the country, legislators are creating dangerous anti-LGBTQIA+ laws and policies – It’s more important than ever for quiet allies to begin raising their voices and showing up to school board meetings, rallies, and the voting booth to defend the rights of our LGBTQIA+ friends and neighbors.
The first step is getting informed, and Amber is one of our favorite sources of information. Amber noticed a gap in both parenting spaces and queer spaces: either parenting, but not a lot of queer parents, or queer and not a lot of parenting. They started writing content that meshed these two spaces. As the parent of a transgender child, Amber is also able to tell their story to help educate and support other families.
We talked about pronouns, social-emotional learning, advocacy in education, and more.
To get informed and get involved, please follow:
- Equality Texas
- Transgender Education Network of Texas
- Texas Freedom Network
- Informed Parents of Austin (a Private Facebook group for Austin-area parents who want to support LGBTQIA+ students, and comprehensive sex ed)
More About Amber
Amber Leventry is a queer, nonbinary writer and advocate. They live in Vermont and have three kids. Amber is Editor of Trends & News at Parents Magazine. Their writing appears in many publications including Scary Mommy, Romper, Longreads, The Temper, The Washington Post, and Parents Magazine.
Amber uses their words to influence and educate people on the importance of supporting the LGBTQIA+ community. They provide LGBTQIA+ inclusivity trainings locally and nationally. They are also available to give keynote speeches at conferences and events.
Topics From This Episode
- Social emotional learning
- Queer families
- Types of transitioning
- Supporting LGBTQIA+ children
- Puberty blockers
- Individual sense of gender
- Lambda Legal
- Equality Texas
- The Trevor Project
- The GenderCool Project
Resources From Amber (some they wrote, some they edited)
- Why We Need To Stop Outing LGBTQIA+ Students | Parents
- This Is What’s Happening To Transgender Youth In Texas and How You Can Help | Parents
- Explaining Nonbinary: How to Talk to Kids About Gender | Parents
- The Parents Guide to Supporting LGBTQIA+ Kids | Parents
Connect with Amber
- Amber Leventry (@amberleventry) • Instagram photos and videos
- Amber Leventry (they/them) (@AmberLeventry) / Twitter
- Family Rhetoric FB page Family Rhetoric by Amber Leventry | Facebook
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Watch This Episode On Our YouTube Channel
Our delightfully happy intro and outro theme music, “We Will Get Through This” is performed by Young Presidents, and used under license from Shutterstock.
Transcript available upon request.