Episode 38: Ann Imig
A decade ago, we met Ann Imig through LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER, a stage production of live readings, all centered around motherhood. We say this in the episode, but we can’t say it enough: being part of the LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER movement changed our lives, and led to connections that we will value forever.
These days, Ann has pivoted, but she’s still listening. Ann is now a positive psychology coach, and her company is Listen Life Coaching. She took us through her decision-making process to become a coach, and why the positive psychology model spoke to her.
We talked about our amazing, malleable brains. Did you know that 50% of our disposition is predetermined? If that sounds like terrible news, listen and find out why it’s not so bad.
One of our favorite takeaways was that you can pivot toward curiosity, or gratitude, and actually make changes in your brain. We love that! We talked about change and growth, and not just in a feely, sunshine and rainbows way, but in a practical, real life way. We get into hope and growth, and trusting ourselves. Whew, that concept is a big one.
If you’re feeling stuck, give this episode a listen. If you’re frustrated with yourself, give this episode a listen. If you have no idea what you’re feeling, give this episode a listen.
More About Ann
Ann is a Certified Positive Psychology Coach, Masters of Social Work, creative multi-hyphenate, and LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER show founder.
People, Places and Things That Come Up
- Martin E.P. Seligman
- The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky
- Kristin Neff, work and books on self-compassion
- Learned Hopefulness, by Dan Tomasulo
- Carol Dweck’s work on growth mindset
- Lynda Barry
Our Looks, Listens, and Learns
Connect with Ann:
- Listen Life Coaching website
- 5-Minute Mood Lift newsletter (so good – get it!)
How to chat with us, or follow us, and support us!
- We want to hear from you, and we are also excited about talking to someone other than ourselves.
- Please subscribe to the podcast wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!