November 17, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 97 / Guest: Becky Blades
Subscribe and Review wherever you listen to podcasts!
Becky Blades wants us all to be stARTISTs! Her daughter coined the term “startist” when she noticed that Becky had her hands in a lot of different enterprises, from business, to art, to writing. We talked about writing through grief, and the creative process. Becky has great insight into launching, whether it be sending our children or our ideas into the world. If you have a fear of starting because you’re hung up on the end product, Becky’s perspective – and her new book – will change the way you approach everything!
Topics From This Episode:
- Becky’s books
- Writing habit
- Raising children
- Skill mastery
- Experimentation with new skills
- Allowing failure
- Leaving room for success
- Doing a project inventory
- What do you need to get started? (Hint: You don’t need everything!)
- Idea generation
- Avoidance vs. startup time
- The brain science of getting started
Look, Listen, Learn
- Abbott Elementary
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver – Becky’s daughter, Taylor Kay Phillips, is a writer on the show and won an emmy
- Taylor also wrote A Guide to Midwest Conversation, coming Spring 2023
- The corn song
- Learning TikTok
- The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz
- College application process, and learning to let our kids handle it
More About Becky:
Becky Blades is a writer, artist, entrepreneur, and philosopher of creative, adventurous living.
After starting the award-winning public relations firm, Blades & Associates, and merging it with Trozzolo Communications Group, Becky now shares the power of “stARTistry,” a philosophy she unveils in her new book, Start More Than You Can Finish: A Creative Permission Slip to Unleash Your Best Ideas.
Becky also wrote and illustrated the best-seller Do Your Laundry or You’ll Die Alone, named a Best Books of 2014 by Kirkus Reviews.
A graduate of the University of Missouri School of Journalism, Becky has written for Oprah.com, The Huffington Post, Live Happy, and more. Her artwork is in collections around the world.
Connect with Becky:
- Web site: https://beckyblades.com
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/BeckyBlades2
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BeckyBlades2
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/becky.blades.3/
- Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@beckyblades0
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/beckyblades/
- Do Your Laundry Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/laundryordie/
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Transcript available upon request