July 21, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 80 / Guest: Catherine Pearlman
Subscribe & Review Wherever You Listen To Podcasts
Our guest this week is Dr. Catherine Pearlman, The Family Coach. We are lucky enough to know Catherine in real life, and want all of our listeners to know her, too. We talk about teaching kids – and ourselves – how to manage our phone time, manage our phones, and make the most of our ellipses. Catherine shares tips from her newest book, First Phone: A Child’s Guide to Digital Responsibility, Safety and Etiquette. From modeling good behavior, to setting boundaries, we cover it all. Also, Catherine went back to school when she had a one year old and a four year old. That fact alone inspires us to go after what we want!
More About Catherine Pearlman:
Dr. Catherine Pearlman is the founder of The Family Coach and a licensed clinical social worker who has been working with children and families for more than 25 years. She holds a PhD in Social Welfare from Yeshiva University and a Masters of Social Work from New York University. Catherine is also the author of Ignore It: How Selectively Looking the Other Way Can Decrease Behavioral Problems and Increase Parenting Satisfaction (TarcherPerigee, 2017) and First Phone: A Child’s Guide to Digital Responsibility, Safety and Etiquette. She is regularly called upon to provide expert opinion for newspaper and magazine articles, speaking engagements, radio and television. Her writing has appeared in CNN, Los Angeles Times, Sports Illustrated, The Wall Street Journal, US News & World Report, Grown & Flown, Your Teen Magazine and on many parenting websites around the world. Catherine lives in California with her sports-writing husband Jeff, their two kids and puppy Poppy.
Topics From This Episode
- Returning to school as an adult
- Digital education for kids
- Phone etiquette
- Pandemic impact on screen time
- Facebook whistleblower, Frances Haugen
- How social media companies keep us engaged
- How to manage social media by educating ourselves and our kids
- Boundaries around phone usage
- Being mindful of where our data is and how companies use it
- Digital consent
- The story of Catherine’s kidney donation
Connect with Catherine:
Look, Listen, Learn
- Everything Must Go by Camille Pagan
- Julia on HBO Max
- Gray area drinking – https://grayareadrinkers.com
- The Girl in the Red Boots: Making Peace with My Mother by Judith Ruskay Rabinor, Ph.D.
- The Meditative Story podcast
- Making art again
- Looking for the story about Catherine donating her left kidney to a stranger? Here it is!
- Holes by Louis Sachar (and the Theodore Boone books by John Grisham came up, too)
- College visits in California, and seeing LA in a different way
- Smartless episode with Jenny Slate (voice of Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, among many other great roles)
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Watch This Episode On Our YouTube Channel
Transcript available upon request.