February 3, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 56 / Guest: Doreen Dodgen-Magee
Subscribe and Download Wherever You Listen to Podcasts Using the Links Below
This episode is packed – and we mean PACKED – with wisdom. Some of our favorite quotes include:
“It’s easier to establish healthy norms than it is to break bad habits.”
“Good enough is both good and enough.”
Covid has been a marathon that we never trained for. We thought we were in for a two-week sprint, but here we are. And we don’t have our typical coping mechanisms of connection, engagement with the arts, or other hobbies and pastimes we enjoyed in the before times.
We talk about how to break bad habits and introduce new norms in a way that won’t result in emotional whiplash. The concept of the Third Quarter phenomenon comes up, and Doreen has practical advice for helping us get through this murky portion of our collective lives.
We discuss brain health and the magic that comes out of 10 minutes of boredom. Technology is rewiring our brains, and not in a good way. In the episode, listeners will learn how to combat these brain changes. Ever had a boredom party? Trust us, you’re going to love the concept.
More About Doreen Dodgen-Magee
Doreen is a mom and… author, psychologist, researcher, and speaker. Her new book RESTART: DESIGNING A HEALTHY POST-PANDEMIC LIFE has been featured on CNN, PBS, and in the Washington Post, Inside Higher Ed, & Well and Good. Her first book, DEVICED! BALANCING LIFE AND TECHNOLOGY IN A DIGITAL AGE, was awarded the 2018 Gold Medal for Psychology by the Nautilus Book Awards.
Doreen’s writing has appeared in the Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Psychology Today, and Health magazine as well as other popular press outlets. Doreen offers various talks and workshops on numerous topics related to the impact of digital overuse on health. Doreen is a national spokesperson and Senior Survivor Fellow with Everytown for Gun Safety. She is also a lead consultant with Covid Survivors for Change.
Topics From This Episode (Complete transcript is available below… scroll to the bottom!)
- Olga Mecking (check out Episode 6 of Mom &… Podcast)
- Mental health
- Third Quarter Phenomenon
- Caring for ourselves
- Getting comfortable with our feelings
- Public policy
- Brain health
- Boredom parties
Connect with Doreen:
Look, Listen, Learn
- JVN’s podcast, Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness
- We’re Here on HBOMax
- The Whole Language by Gregory Boyle
- Plant care (and whoa, is there an amazing parallel to people care!)
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Watch This Episode On Our YouTube Channel