July 6, 2023 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 126 / Guest: Estelle Erasmus
Subscribe and Review wherever you listen to podcasts!
This week’s guest, Estelle Erasmus, has a career journey that started with being an executive assistant, and pivoted to roles in book publishing, public relations, women’s magazines, medical education publications, before she took on her current roles as professor, podcast host, and author. Estelle coaches writers, helping them get published and get noticed. She told us all about her life, and how she parlayed her skillset into a fulfilling career. What an incredible example of career pauses, pivots and parlaying your skillset into your next perfect role!
Topics From This Episode:
- Pivoting from a first career [3:04]
- Magazine publishing [3:39]
- Curiosity + Bravery = New roles [6:30]
- Teaching Learning Annex classes [9:28]
- Deciding to have children [11:11]
- Finding flexible work [13:04]
- Starting over after a career break [16:24]
- Ah-ha moments [19:36]
- Listen To Your Mother [23:15]
- Blogging [24:49]
- Unpaid work of mothering [26:59]
- BlogHer [27:39]
- How to not lose yourself in mothering [30:06]
- Freelance Writing Direct podcast [32:46]
- Know your skillset [37:24]
- TikTok [40:43]
Look, Listen, Learns
- Nudacris on TikTok
- My Father’s List by Laura Carney
- The Leaving Season by Kelly McMasters
- The Great on Hulu
- Based on a True Story on Peacock
- Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld
- Writing classes and workshops (like this one, from The Writers’ League of Texas)
- Jury Duty on Prime
More About Estelle Erasmus:
Estelle Erasmus, Author of Writing That Gets Noticed: Find Your Voice, Become a Better Storyteller, Get Published (June 2023) is a professor of writing at New York University, the host of the Freelance Writing Direct podcast, and former “All About the Pitch” columnist for Writer’s Digest. She has written about a variety of subjects (health, beauty, fitness, publishing, business, travel) for numerous publications. Her articles for the New York Times and Washington Post have gone globally viral (with more than 500 comments on her New York Times piece, “How to Bullyproof Your Child”). She has appeared on Good Morning America and has had her articles discussed on The View. She has also taught, coached, and mentored many writers who have gone on to be widely published. She received the 2023 NYU School of Professional Studies Teaching Excellence Award, is an American Society of Journalists and Authors award winner, and was a cast member in the inaugural New York City production of the Listen to Your Mother storytelling show.
Connect with Estelle Erasmus:
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Transcript is auto-generated by a robot. Apologies in advance for misspellings or errors.