Subscribe and Review Wherever You Listen to Podcasts
June 2, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 73 / Guest: Fran Hauser
As two Obligers and Enneagram Nines, we are so happy to know Fran Hauser. In this episode we talk through why it’s good to be nice at work, but also how to advocate for yourself. In her new book, “Embrace the Work, Love Your Career”, Fran Hauser encourages women to figure out who they are, what they love, and where they add value at work, so that they can love their careers instead of resenting the work.
If you’re feeling stuck at work, or if you’re ready to make a change but aren’t sure what that change should be, this episode is for you.
More About Fran Hauser:
Fran Hauser is passionate about leveling the playing field for women. She does this through her investing, writing, and speaking. Fran has invested in over 30 female-founded companies across consumer tech, CPG, media & publishing, and wellness. She is the best-selling author of The Myth of the Nice Girl: Achieving a Career You Love Without Becoming a Person You Hate which has been translated into six languages and was named “Best Business Book of the Year, 2018” by Audible. Fran’s new book, Embrace the Work, Love Your Career is quickly becoming the go-to for women seeking more joy and fulfillment in their career. Fran regularly speaks at conferences and organizations to help women build careers they love while staying true to themselves. Much of her current work is informed by 15 years spent in media, where she rose through the ranks at Time Inc. to President of Digital. She lives outside of NYC with her husband and two sons.
Topics From This Episode
- The Myth of the Nice Girl by Fran Hauser
- Susanne’s locking document bag
- Transferable skills
- Saying no
- Setting boundaries
- Saying thank you and showing gratitude
- Stop apologizing and saying sorry for doing your job (followed minutes later by Missy saying “I’m sorry” in a situation that didn’t call for it)
- Chrome extension, Just Not Sorry
- Figuring out which parts of your job bring you joy
- Knowing your strengths and what brings you joy
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
Connect with Fran Hauser:
Look, Listen, Learn
- Self-advocacy and speaking up, as well as learning to rest during recovery
- Better Things
- Watching You by Lisa Jewell
- Bookstagram, Fran’s Bookshelf
- Inside Out: A Memoir, by Demi Moore (audio version)
- The Masked Singer for family viewing
- Class Rebel
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
- Blueprint for a Nonfiction Book by Jennie Nash
- Worksheet Works for summer planning calendars
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!