February 23, 2023 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 109 / Guest: Kara Haug
Subscribe and Review wherever you listen to podcasts!
This episode may be triggering for those with sexual trauma. If you are struggling and need immediate help, call 800.656.4673 or visit https://www.rainn.org/resources for resources and live chat options.
This episode openly discusses sex education. It may not be appropriate for some young listeners (put in those airpods!).
Kara Haug joins us this week for a frank discussion about sex education. We talked about what it means, as moms, to truly understand how our own experiences frame our views on sexuality. Sex education goes beyond s-e-x: reframing our own stories helps us model healthy relationships, productive communication, healthy body image, and self-worth for the children in our lives. Kara offers advice and resources for how we can start normalizing conversations about sex and relationships. We believe this topic has the power to change the world.
Topics From This Episode:
- Comprehensive sex education
- Deconstructing beliefs about sex
- Deconstructing beliefs about sex education
- Understanding our own stories
- Understanding where our beliefs come from
- Preparing moms to talk with their kids
- Healthy relationships
- Dealing with disappointment
- Self worth
- Body image
- Modeling healthy relationships
- Toxic positivity vs. reframing our stories
- Sharing our stories
- Linda Kay Klein’s book, Pure
- Access to porn
- Advocating for sex education
Look, Listen, Learn
- Shrinking on Apple TV+
- Look Both Ways on Netflix
- Manuka Honey (my mom’s version of Gus’s Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding)
- Reading a lot of poetry: What Kind of Woman by Kate Baer and Circle of Stones: Woman’s Journey to Herself
- Reclaiming Body Trust: A Path to Healing and Liberation
- Clay Lab at Verge Center for the Arts in Sacramento
- Looking at microwaves
- Listening to the same seven songs for 2.5 hours
More About Kara Haug:
Kara is the founder and partner of Reframing our Stories, a company dedicated to providing sexual health education, resources, and tools for families and communities to normalize conversations around sex and relationships. Her goal is to remove shame, and reframe our stories to promote openness, acceptance and a positive sense of self. She provides education and facilitates sexuality discussions in homes, schools, churches and with community groups domestically and abroad.
Connect with Kara Haug:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.reframingourstories.com
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/reframingourstories
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/reframingourstories
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/reframingourstories
- Book a 15-min free call: https://calendly.com/reframingourstories/discovery-call-15-min-free
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Watch this episode on our YouTube Channel!
Our delightfully happy intro and outro theme music, “We Will Get Through This” is performed by Young Presidents, and used under license from Shutterstock.
Transcript is auto-generated by a robot. Apologies in advance for misspellings or errors.