Tipsy Ellipses: July 2021, featuring Simone de Muñoz
Most of the time we interview career & life coaches, or authors who have written books specifically about expanding the possibilities outside of “mom” life. But there are SO MANY AMAZING MOMS out there who aren’t necessarily coaches, yet are still coaching by example. They set ambitious goals and take risks in their lives.
Simone de Muñoz is one of those moms, and she’s the author of Manflu. We talked about what it was like to publish a book about a pandemic during a pandemic, whether it’s awkward to write the sexy scenes, and what it’s like to manage life, career, and writing.
Simone de Muñoz writes dystopian, or perhaps utopian, fiction, depending on your perspective, where women drive the story and sometimes even run the world.
She holds a master’s degree in public policy from UC Berkeley and a bachelor’s degree in economics from MIT, which she uses in her day job as a data analyst at a nonprofit.
Based in Silicon Valley, she lives with her patient husband, their two young sons, and a grumpy dog named Fish. Manflu is her debut novel.
Where to connect with Simone:
Random Shout Outs
- Survey results showing overwhelming support for comprehensive, LGBTQ+ inclusive sex ed in Austin ISD here
- Learn more about how you can support LGBTQ+ students, parents and staff in your schools at Informed Parents of Austin.
- Read Simone’s article in Scary Mommy
- Learn about Susanne’s father-in-law’s (Arthur Kerns) Hayden Stone series here.
- Listen to the Mom Writes podcast episode where Melanie “nails” her sex scene here with a bonus shout out to romance writer Michelle Hazen, @michellehazen on Twitter, michellehazen.com for romance coaching.
- Texas Writers / Agents & Editors Conference by the Writers’ League of Texas
Look, Listen, Learn
We don’t always get to the LLLs during Tipsy, but thanks to Simone’s reminder we actually did it this time!
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- The Handmaid’s Tale (Have we mentioned this show before?! Not even bothering to link here. It’s on Hulu.)
- Learning to bake from scratch (super successful venture – delicious cakes!) Try the recipes for the carrot cake and chocolate cake! So easy even Susanne can make them!
About Tipsy Ellipses
On the first of every month, we take to Facebook Live via the Mom &… Podcast Facebook Page. As the name implies, we usually have a cocktail in hand. Topics vary, and you truly never know what we’ll say. We’re available for questions during the episodes, and love connecting with listeners in a live format. Please join us!
How to chat with us, or follow us, and support us!
We want to hear from you, and we are also excited about talking to someone other than ourselves.
Please subscribe to the podcast wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
Follow our Facebook Page
Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
Follow us on Instagram
Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!