June 15, 2023 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 123 / Guest: Jean Stehle
Subscribe and Review wherever you listen to podcasts!
This week we are talking about entrepreneurship and books, two of our favorite things. Our guest, Jean Stehle, is a librarian, a writer, and a business owner. During the pandemic she developed a product that helps families stay organized while promoting gratitude and independence (and we have a promo code if you want your own!). Jean is a true book lover, and has turned that passion into a vocation. Our conversation ranges from parenting, to business ownership, to banned books, and taking chances to bring your idea to life.
Looking for the 20% off code at Schedwall? Scroll down to the Connect with Jean section!
Topics From This Episode with Jean Stehle:
- Career pivots
- Taking Chances
- Schedwall (scroll down for the 20% off code!)
- Building a business
- Motherhood as a strength vs a liability
- Validation from work (and not always having that when caretaking)
- Hosting author events
- Local bookstores
- Newtonville Books in Massachussets
- Zibby Retreats
- Banned books
- Supporting librarians
- Rating books on Goodreads
- American Library Association
- Banned book advocacy and legislation
- Books from Robbie Harris
- Author Accelerator and Jennie Nash
- Abby Mathews (Former guest! She brought a chicken!)
Look, Listen, Learns
- The Lioness of Boston by Emily Franklin
- Tina Turner, RIP, and Proud Mary
- Morning efficiency and putting on makeup in the car
- The Secrets of Hillsong on Hulu
- (Short Bama Rush documentary discussion happened here.)
- You Should Write a Book Podcast with Camille Pagán
More About Jean Stehle:
Jean Stehle (steel) is a writer, educator, educational consultant, calendar designer, and literary liaison. Her day job is that of a middle school librarian and Jean takes pride in creating an inclusive, engaging learning environment where facts matter and all students are book lovers, even if they don’t know it just yet. Additionally, she has consulted for PBS Learning Media for several projects including their “Youth Stand Up” civics curriculum designed to empower middle school students to engage in positive change in their communities.
Jean co-founded the calendar company Schedwall (note: sounds like “schedule” but it’s schedwall) with her husband, and is proud of designing family wall planners that celebrate gratitude and promote independence. Jean has written for several online publications and is currently revising her “coming of middle age” novel. Jean regularly collaborates with her local bookstore, Newtonville Books, to host author events with the intention to create community through the power of books. She has been in conversation with USA Today bestselling author, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Zibby Books author Alicia Fernandez Miranda, and most recently Rob Schwartz, son of the late Morrie Schwartz, the beloved figure of Tuesdays With Morrie. Rob posthumously published his father’s book, The Wisdom of Morrie: Living and Aging Creatively and Joyfully. Jean lives just outside of Boston with her husband, two children, and countless books.
Connect with Jean Stehle:
- Order your Schedwall here! Get 20% off with code MOMAND20 or MOM&20
- Jean Reads Bookshop
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Transcript is auto-generated by a robot. Apologies in advance for misspellings or errors.