December 9, 2022 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 99 / Guest: Lizz Porter
Subscribe and Review wherever you listen to podcasts!
We love highlighting amazing women doing amazing things, and Lizz Porter fits that description perfectly. This we we’re talking about running a business, and doing so while navigating medical issues, major life events, and all the regular life stuff.
Lizz runs her business under circumstances that might crumble other women. We love her take on all of it: Life can be so amazing, and so great, and happy, and wonderful, and everything, but you also have to deal with the mud and the garbage and the crap in order to get to the really good parts.
This episode and Lizz’s business, PewPew Lasercraft, are definitely some of the good parts!
Topics From This Episode:
- Small business ownership
- Shop small
- Laser cutters
- House fire
- Disaster recovery
- Chronic illness
- Kidney disease
- Renal failure
- Kidney transplant
- Transplant chains
- Mary Katherine Backstrom’s kidney donation (Check out our episode with MK!)
- Catherine Pearlman’s kidney donation (Check out our episode with Catherine!)
Look, Listen, Learn
- Unscrewed: Women, Sex, Power, and How to Stop Letting the System Screw Us All by Jaclyn Friedman
- Yes Means Yes! By Jesicca Valenti, edited by Jaclyn Friedman
- Educate Us and Siecus
- Why Care? With Reshma Saujani and Tim Allen
- The Children’s Place cheap chinos
- Grace: President Obama and Ten Days in the Battle for America, by Cody Keenan
- The Weirdest Thing I Learned This Week podcast
- History for Weirdos podcast
- Pottery class
More About Lizz:
Lizz Porter is the boss lady and creative mind behind Pew Pew Lasercraft, a home decor and accessories company for those who don’t take life too seriously. She’s been a lifelong maker and crafter, and after going to school for graphic design, has always leaned into design-focused options.
She lives in the Sierra Foothills in northern California with her husband Jamie, son Max and a couple of cats and a dog. Born and raised in the Bay Area, the family decided that the pandemic was time to make a big change, and they took the leap to leave the Bay and move up to the mountains, a longtime dream that had been a “someday” that they made real.
Pew Pew Lasercraft (Don’t resist the urge to say it like Pew! Pew!) is the perfect combination of loves for her, she’s able to use her design skills and crafting abilities to create products for her retail and wholesale clients. There’s not much that brings her more joy than a custom order that lets her help bring a customer’s idea to life.
Connect with Lizz:
- Website: PewPewLasercraft.com (Don’t forget: 10% off everything through the end of February with the code MOMAND!)
- Instagram: @PewPewLasercraft
- TikTok: @pewpewlasercraft
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PewPewLasercraft/
- Follow the house build and fire recover here: https://www.instagram.com/makethishometv
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!