April 7, 2023 / Mom &… Podcast Episode 114 / Guest: Shavon Saint Preux
Subscribe and Review wherever you listen to podcasts!
Shavon Saint Preux joins us this week to talk about starting something from nothing. Regular listeners know that we are passionate about foster care and about women living fully into their ellipses. Shavon is the ultimate mom &… She’s a business owner, the founder of Saints House, a transitional home for girls aging out of foster care, and a single mom. Shavon shares her story, along with some great insight on self care and running businesses.
Looking for a quick link to the Saints House donation page? Click here!
Topics From This Episode:
- Foster care
- Starting a business
- Single parenting
- Aging out of foster care
- Self care
- Check out our other episode all about foster care, with the founders of Carrying Hope and Foster Village: https://momandpodcast.com/you-can-give-back-no-matter-how-little-time-you-have/
- Startistry (see our episode with Becky Blades for more about Startistry)
- Carrying Hope: Hope’s Home
Look, Listen, Learn
- Women Are the Fiercest Creatures by Andrea Dunlop (a Zibby Books publication)
- Going on a retreat (or designing one yourself with Jenny Remington’s tips – listen to episode 92!)
- What to Do Until Love Finds You by Michelle McKinney Hammond
- Maverick City Music
- Brown Girl Self Care
- Blessed + Boss Up
- Learning about starting a drop-in resource center for foster youth
- Binaural beats (just google or search for a playlist on sonos, Spotify, wherever you like to search for that kind of stuff!
- Good Life Project episode: Seven Habits to Dramatically Improve Focus
- Succession and Yellowjackets are back
- Use your privilege to speak up for those who cannot use their own voices
More About Shavon:
Shavon was born in Nassau, Bahamas. At the age of seven, Shavon and her family migrated to the United States in pursuit of a better life. Once she and her family made it to the U.S, things got worse before they got better.
Though her trials and tribulations consisted of losing both of her parents, entering foster care, and becoming a teenage mom, Shavon overcame all obstacles and statistics that said she would fail.
Shavon graduated from Florida International University and obtained a Masters’s degree there. Shavon serves as the Founder and Director of Saints House, an organization that provides transitional housing and care coordination to youth who have been impacted by the foster care system. Shavon’s goal is to be a changemaker, helping improve the lives of disadvantaged youth.
Connect with Shavon and Saints House:
- Saints House
- Saints House Instagram
- Shavon’s Instagram
- Donate or shop the Amazon Wish List
Connect With the Mom &… Podcast
- Please subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts! If you’re so inclined to give us a 5-star rating, we’ll love you forever. Who couldn’t use a little extra love?
- Leave us a message – via voicemail or use our form – with your questions for experts, or suggestions for future episodes.
- Check out our website, where you can find links to all the things!
- Follow our Facebook Page
- Join our private Facebook Group (All you have to do is ask to join, and then be nice once you’re in. So easy!)
- Follow us on Instagram
- Become a patron – check us out on Patreon!
Watch this episode on our YouTube Channel!
Our delightfully happy intro and outro theme music, “We Will Get Through This” is performed by Young Presidents, and used under license from Shutterstock.
Transcript is auto-generated by a robot. Apologies in advance for misspellings or errors.